Day 01: Arrival in Nepal
Welcome to Nepal ! A representative from Karma Eco Trek will receive you at the airport and drop you at your hotel. On this day you will not do much but relax and go around your hotel location. Overnight in Kathmandu.
Day 02: Kathmandu sightseeing and trek preparation
Thank you for choosing Makalu base camp as your next adventure destination! If you booked this trek long time back your permits are ready before you arrive but if it is a last minute booking you permits will be made on this day. While the back office is busy making permits on the back end, you will get involved in sightseeing some UNESCO world heritage sites. Some time in the day, you will as well do last minute preparation, packing and purchase if necessary. In the evening you will meet your guide and your guide will brief you about the trek.
Day 03: Kathmandu - Tumlingtar (flight) - drive to Num (1560m) Flight - 20-30 mins, Jeep ride - all day
You along your guides air tickets will be booked in the first possible flight in the morning. The flight could take anywhere from 25-30 minutes. Once we touched down on the grassy airstrip of Tumlingtar, you will be transferred on a local jeep. The jeep ride could take an entire day. In case of damage or obstruction of the road, it takes 3 days from the airport to Num. If the weather permits, you can get a fantastic view of Mt. Makalu. Overnight in Num.
Day 04: Seduwa (1500 m) 4 - 5 hrs / 880 m descent / 920 m ascent
You can get the views of your final destination of the day from the village of Num. There are 2 ways, one short but rough trail and the other, long and better trail. You would follow the longer trail as the shorter is full of loose rocks and at times very difficult to trace. You will traverse through moist and dense forest before you make a 3 hours climb to Seduwa. Overnight in Seduwa.
Day 05: Seduwa - Tashigaon (2100m) 4 - 5 hrs / 620 m
This probably would be the last day of you walking through the villages in the national park. The trail traverses through patches of forest that opens up to the cultivated field. You will make through villages Murmi Danda and Narbugaon before reaching to Tashigaon. Tashigaon is the last village that you will come across the trail. Hence, your guide will get busy restacking all the logistic or food necessary to complete the trek successfully. Overnight in Tashigaon.
Day 06: Tashigaon - Khongma (3500m) 7 - 8 hrs / 1420 m ascent
The trail climbs steeply and immediately out of the village and through Nepal’s most impressive cloud forest. The day is going to be long and you will enter high altitude and hence, you are advised to walk slow. The first camping ground you will come across will be of Unisha at 3110 meters and 5 hours away from Tashigaon. Khongma is 2 hours further from Unisha. Once in Khongma you are blessed with an impressive views of Makalu with peak 6 and 7 in the foreground. Overnight in Khongma.
Day 07: Khongma Danda
A lot of people would just advance further without acclimatizing and it is very risky. However, you will acclimatize by relaxing and taking your time. There is not much to do on this day rather than hydrating yourself and exploring the forest in the surrounding. Overnight in Khongma Danda.
Day 08: Khongma Danda - Mumbuk (3540m) 7 - 8 hrs / 1170 m ascent / 1180 m descent
Although it may seem like a slight change in altitude, this day is going to be one of the toughest day on the trail. You begin your day climbing a ridge to a pass namely Kauma La(3603 m) and further to the top of the ridge with another pass namely Tutu La (4125 m). The views of Makalu, Baruntse, Chamlang, and Kanchenjunga and Jannu on a clear day is jaw dropping. From the pass you descend down to a huge lake namely Kalo Pokhari. From Kalo Pokhari you climb and come across another pass namely Keke La (4170 m). The views of Chamlang range and the Tibet on the north is spectacular. From here the drop of over 2 hours on loose rock takes you to Mumbuk. You also have an option of spending the night at the only teahouse in the nearby Dobato. Overnight in Mumbuk.
Day 09: Mumbuk- Yangle Kharka (3600 m) 4 - 5 hrs / 700 m descent / 750 m ascent
You descend from Mumbuk towards Barun valley and as you do so you need to be careful of where you go. Several times the trail is covered with small shrubs, passes through landslide, squeezes between boulders and crosses streams. Furthermore, the forest opens to broader valley and with every spur towards your final destination of the day, the views of peak 7 gets bigger and broader. You can accommodate in either of the 2 lodges in Yangle Kharka which is functional only in trekking season. You also have the option to camp your night here. Overnight in Yangle.
Day 10: Yangle Kharka - Langmale Kharka (4400m) 4 - 5 hrs / 800 m ascent
From Yangle the trail climbs to Nghe Kharka (often called as Nehe Kharka) and this is an ideal place to camp. The terrain from here is very arid and the snowline seems like within the next few hours. Along the way, you will as well come across several huts and prayer flag wrapped stones and walls. There is a lodge in Langmale which is functional only in trekking season. In case if the lodge is closed, you will have to trek further to Merek (4570m) for better camping ground. The soaring views of Peak 3, Peak 4, Peak 5 and Chamlang peak is awe inspiring. Overnight in Langmale Kharka.
Day 11: Langmale Kharka - Makalu Base Camp (4870m) 4 - 5 hrs / 450m ascent
The land becomes an arid pile of sand and rock as you head forward toward Makalu base camp. The views become very beautiful and the first ever view of peak you would get is of Hongku peak. Further down the trail, Makalu soars and rapidly rises to dominate the entire sky. Around an hour of trek and you will come across a hut and yak pasture which is named as Shersong. From here, Makalu base camp is around 3 hours away. Overnight in Makalu base camp.
Day 12: Makalu Base Camp
There are two side trips from the base camp; one to the advanced base camp and second, the ridge of Peak 3. The primary excursion is long and draining but the views of Lhotse as well as Everest is amazing. The second excursion is not less. You descend down to Shersong and climb to the ridge of the peak and see views of Everest, Lhotse shar, Lhotse and the most beautiful ever view of Makalu itself. Overnight in Shershong or Makalu base camp.
Day 13: Makalu Base Camp - Yangle Kharka 7 - 8 hours / 1250 m descent
You will retrace the same trail back to the lodges and camping site of Yangle Kharka. It is going to be a long day and an arduous downhill walk. Overnight in Yangle.
Day 14: Yangle Kharka - Dobato 3 - 4 hrs / 520 m descent / 420 m ascent
Follow the same trail back enjoying the scenery missed on your way up. Walk all the way to the lodges of Dobato. Overnight in Dobato.
Day 15: Dobato - Khongma 6 - 7 hrs / 870m ascent / 870m descent
Trek across all the passes taken on your way up while you enjoy the views of soaring peaks in the north. Overnight in Khongma.
Day 16: Khongma - Tashigaun 4 - 5 hrs / 1270 m descent
Make a long and arduous descent all the way down to civilization. Once in Tashigaun, your guide will reconfirm the flights. Overnight in Tashigaon.
Day 17: Tashigaun - Num 7 - 8 hrs / 1590 m descent / 900 m ascent
Retrace your way through lush green forest all the way to Num. Overnight in Num.
Day 18: Num - Tumlingtar
You will take an early morning jeep to Tumlingtar. Once in Tumlingtar, you can either trek or accommodate in basic lodges. Overnight in Tumlingtar.
Day 19: Tumlingtar - Kathmandu
You will board on a small aircraft and as early as possible. Once in Kathmandu, we will transfer you to your hotel and hence your Makalu Base camp trek will officially come to an end. Thank you for choosing Karma eco treks as your travel partner in Nepal.
Day 20: Departure your destination.
Makalu Base Camp Trek
Makalu base camp trek is the trek to the first base camp of the 5th highest mountain Mount Makalu. Makalu is considered as the most difficult mountain to summit to because of the step climbs and exposed ridges. Similar to the expedition is the trek to the base camp. It is not a child’s play but it is one heck of an adventure very few option for trekkers.
Relish the world tallest mountain,
Not only description of a place and the terrain but also the trails of Makalu base camp trek lies in one of the most remotest and the most remorse part of the country. Furthermore, the ecosystem is considered very fragile and the conservation area restricts trekkers to strict itinerary. To maintain the ambiance of the conservation you are restricted from burning firewood and camping in areas other than designated. This effort from the conservation area has helped maintain the entire region and has made every effort to keep an cleanines destination for trek in Nepal
The reward of sweet escape to the Makalu base camp trek provides you with the opportunity to experience spotless, himalayan terrain and help beat the trappings of the modern society. On your way, you will come across view points from where you will come face to face with Makalu, Baruntse and Everest. All in all this is an adventurous off the beaten trek in Nepal.
Book this trek and relish the world’s 5the tallest mountain mt. makalu today!
- Day 01: Arrival in Nepal
- Day 02: Kathmandu sightseeing and trek preparation
- Day 03: Kathmandu - Tumlingtar (flight) - drive to Num (1560m) Flight - 20-30 mins, Jeep ride - all day
- Day 04: Seduwa (1500 m) 4 - 5 hrs / 880 m descent / 920 m ascent
- Day 05: Seduwa - Tashigaon (2100m) 4 - 5 hrs / 620 m
- Day 06: Tashigaon - Khongma (3500m) 7 - 8 hrs / 1420 m ascent
- Day 07: Khongma Danda
- Day 08: Khongma Danda - Mumbuk (3540m) 7 - 8 hrs / 1170 m ascent / 1180 m descent
- Day 09: Mumbuk- Yangle Kharka (3600 m) 4 - 5 hrs / 700 m descent / 750 m ascent
- Day 10: Yangle Kharka - Langmale Kharka (4400m) 4 - 5 hrs / 800 m ascent
- Day 11: Langmale Kharka - Makalu Base Camp (4870m) 4 - 5 hrs / 450m ascent
- Day 12: Makalu Base Camp
- Day 13: Makalu Base Camp - Yangle Kharka 7 - 8 hours / 1250 m descent
- Day 14: Yangle Kharka - Dobato 3 - 4 hrs / 520 m descent / 420 m ascent
- Day 15: Dobato - Khongma 6 - 7 hrs / 870m ascent / 870m descent
- Day 16: Khongma - Tashigaun 4 - 5 hrs / 1270 m descent
- Day 17: Tashigaun - Num 7 - 8 hrs / 1590 m descent / 900 m ascent
- Day 18: Num - Tumlingtar
- Day 19: Tumlingtar - Kathmandu
- Day 20: Departure your destination.
- Airport pickup and drop by private vehicle.
- Welcome dinner at typical Nepalese restaurant in Kathmandu.
- 2 nights hotel accommodation at 3 star category in Kathmandu inclusive breakfast.
- All government and local taxes.
- A comprehensive medical kit.
- Highly an experienced Trekking Guide, Assistant Guide, Cook, assistant cook and Porters.
- All accommodations on the trails and 3 times meals during the trek (staple meal of Daal Bhat for lunch and dinner or any one item from the menu )
- Best available local lodges / Teahouse in mountain/ Camping trek.
- Accidental and medical Insurance of Nepalese staffs
- Domestic flight from Ktm to Tumlingtar/ Drive to Num valley/Tumlingtar to Ktm
- Certificate of trek Completion.
- Travel and rescue insurance.
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower, mineral water etc).
- Nepal entry visa fee and airport tax during the departure.
- Lunch & Dinner in Kathmandu hotel.
- In case of natural calamities i.e. political unrest, cancellation of flight due to weather, landslides etc the extra charge should be borne by themselves.
- Nepal visa which obtained at the airport on arrival (4 copies of passport size photo).
- Nepal entry visa fee and airport tax during the departure.
- Tips for trekking staffs.
- Anything else that is not mentioned on what is included.
|Trip Start Date||Trip End Date||Price||Availability||Book|