Lower Mustang Trek
Despite the construction of motor able road on the trails previously used for trekking, Lower Mustang trek is still a fascinating land to explore. With the construction of new motor able road has evolved the new trekking trail to avoid it as much as possible to provide a real trekking experience for trekking enthusiast. However, the terrain remains unsoiled, the transition from lush green hills to deserted land is beautiful, the people and their culture is still fascinating.
Mustang is divided into 2 sub regions and they are Upper Mustang trek and Lower Mustang trek. The Upper Mustang trek takes you to the last forbidden kingdom of Lho. Trekking to Lho and its beautiful land requires extra days as well as additional permits. Whereas, Lower Mustang trek shares somewhat similar landscape and the final destination of the trek is the holy temple of Muktinath. Lower mustang trek takes you to the corridors of the Kali Gandaki river, the deepest gorge in the world, the best apple orchards in Nepal, the second largest waterfall in the country, the oldest distillery in the country and takes you as close as stone throw distance to the mountains.
Book this historical and dramatic trek today!
- Day 01: Arrival in Nepal
- Day 02: Kathmandu sightseeing and trek preparation
- Day 03: Bus to Pokhara(8,20m/2,690ft) 6 hours of drive
- Day 04: Bus to Nayapul and trek to Tikhedhunga (1,540m/5,052ft) 1.5 hours of drive 3 – 4 hours of hike
- Day 05: Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani (2,810m/9,220ft) 6 – 7 hours
- Day 06: Ghorepani to Tatopani(1,190m/3,905ft) 6 – 7 hours
- Day 07: Tatopani to Ghasa(2,010m/6,595ft) 6 – 7 hours
- Day 08: Ghasa to Marpha(2,670m/8,760ft) 5 – 6 hours
- Day 09: Marpha to Kagbeni(2,806m/9,205ft) 6 – 7 hours
- Day 10: Kagbeni to Muktinath(3,760m/12,335ft) 5 – 6 hours
- Day 11: Muktinath to Jomsom(2,720m/8,925ft) 5 – 6 hours
- Day 12: Jomsom to Pokhara(820m/2,690ft) 20 min
- Day 13: Pokhara to Kathmandu(1350m/4,264ft) 6 hours
- Day 14: departure your destination.
Day 01: Arrival in Nepal
Welcome to Nepal ! A representative from Karma Eco Trek will receive you at the airport and drop you at your hotel. On this day you will not do much but relax and go around your hotel location. Overnight in Kathmandu.
Day 02: Kathmandu sightseeing and trek preparation
Thank you for booking lower Mustang trek! If you booked this trek long time back your permits are ready before you arrive but if it is a last minute booking you permits will be made on this day. While the back office is busy making permits on the back end, you will get involved in sightseeing some UNESCO world heritage sites. Some time in the day, you will as well do last minute preparation, packing and purchase if necessary. In the evening you will meet your guide and your guide will brief you about the trek.
Day 03: Bus to Pokhara(8,20m/2,690ft) 6 hours of drive
On this day we have our breakfast by 6:00 a.m. in the morning and head towards tourist Bus Park at Thamel and board a tourist bus to Pokhara. The bus ride will take around 7 hours through curvy roads of hilly terrain with couple of breaks in between for snacks and lunch. The drive to Pokhara on one of the major highways is exhilarating with beautiful views of never leaving tributaries, lush green hills and road side settlements.
Day 04: Bus to Nayapul and trek to Tikhedhunga (1,540m/5,052ft) 1.5 hours of drive 3 – 4 hours of hike
On this day we wake up early to have our breakfast by 7:00 a.m. and board car, van or bus; according to our comfort and preference, by 8:00 a.m. and drive for around 1 hour and 30 minutes to Nayapul. We unload our luggage and cross the rustic bridge of Modi khola and walk for about 15 minutes to Birethanti and get our permits checked. Today we walk on the jeep track and make easy ascend to Tikhedhunga. In spring we can take the opportunity to cool off the scorching heat and fatigue by swimming in one of the streams on our way to Tikhedhunga, which has been the major attraction of this trail.
Day 05: Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani (2,810m/9,220ft) 6 – 7 hours
On this day we make an ascent of 1360 meters in total within 4-6 hours of trek. Today we trek on this beautifully crafted, manmade staircase with 3500 steps is physically challenging but not technical and yet beautiful. Once we reach Ulleri we come across beautiful settlement of Magar communities to the pasture land which further leads into deep forest. We make our way through beautiful oak and Rhododendron forest, 2 crystal clear streams and a ridge before we make a final and short climb to Ghorepani.
Day 06: Ghorepani to Tatopani(1,190m/3,905ft) 6 – 7 hours
Today we start our day early in the morning to cover 1750m in descent and 140m in ascent with 5-7 hours. With the view of Nilgiri and Dhaluragiri on the front, we head through beautiful Magar settlement. Further we make descend through beautiful forest of Magnolia and Rhododendron and further pasture grounds until we reach Ghorepani. We make a halt at Ghorepani which is a must after long walk.
Day 07: Tatopani to Ghasa(2,010m/6,595ft) 6 – 7 hours
On this day we start early to ascent 900m and descend 90m in 5-6 hours. On this day we walk on jeep trails except for many occasions when we walk on the mule trails. We walk past north of beautiful waterfall named Rupse Chahara further on rocky trails carved right out of the hills. The day is very tiring because of the fine ascend we make on jeep trail along Kaligandaki river, from in between lush green hills. From Ghasa we make an entry to the district of Mustang.
Day 08: Ghasa to Marpha(2,670m/8,760ft) 5 – 6 hours
Today we make 600m in ascent on jeep track mostly, except for once and twice when we dodge vehicle route to stroll on mule tracks. Most of the day’s walking is done on dry and arid landscape with the view of Annapurna massif on the south now. Through the rustic old settlements of Tukuche and larjung and fine orchards we enter in Marpha. Marpha is famous for its apple orchards, apple distillery, apple cedars and apple pies.
Day 09: Marpha to Kagbeni(2,806m/9,205ft) 6 – 7 hours
The trekking trail of Marpha to Kagbeni is effortless and on today’s day we ascent 220m and descent 60m. Making our way through most remarkable town of Jomson which holds the only airstrip of region, where wind gauge breaks the record every afternoon and which offers amazing view of Nilgiri mountain, we make our way further towards Kagbeni on more flatter trail. Further we walk on a straight trail through the gorges and on the banks of Kaligandaki which further leads to desert like landscape. Finally we make a very stable ascent until we arrive at Kagbeni.
Day 10: Kagbeni to Muktinath(3,760m/12,335ft) 5 – 6 hours
Kagbeni is an interesting fortress like village which gives a hunch about its inhabitants being from warrior race. There are big walls known as Kheni in local language and it is believed to be protecting the entire village of Kagbeni from the evil spirit and intruders. From Kagbeni we again amble on the jeep trail with the view of Nilgiri range and Mustang himal and ascend 600+ meters. We make our way through small patches of villages in Jharkot and Khingar, until we arrive at Muktinath temple, which is overwhelmed by the devotees of Hindu and Buddhist religion.
Day 11: Muktinath to Jomsom(2,720m/8,925ft) 5 – 6 hours
From Muktinath we further descend down to Jharkot and watch Kagbeni from the ridge and make our way towards Jomsom. We take jeep track all the way to Jomsom; a beautiful mountain settlement placed on the laps of Nilgiri Mountain. Jomsom also has a air strip which serves the entire region on everyday basis. We do not board the flight on the same day as the flights are disrupted by the heavy wind that blows in Mustang afternoon. We rather stay back and enjoy the vista and ambiance of Mustang.
Day 12: Jomsom to Pokhara(820m/2,690ft) 20 min
We board an early morning flight to Pokhara which takes around 20 minutes. The flight is also a wonderful opportunity to watch the aerial view of mountains in Annapurna region.
Day 13: Pokhara to Kathmandu(1350m/4,264ft) 6 hours
On this day we have our breakfast by 6:00 a.m. in the morning and head towards tourist Bus Park and board a tourist bus back to Kathmandu. The bus ride will take around 7 hours through curvy roads of hilly terrain with couple of breaks in between for snacks and lunch. Once in Kathmandu your guide will transfer you to your hotel and hence, your Lower Mustang trek comes to an end officially.
Day 14: departure your destination.
- Airport pickup and drop by private vehicle.
- Welcome dinner at typical Nepalese restaurant in Kathmandu.
- 2 nights Hotel accommodation 2/3 star including breakfast in Kathmandu.
- All government and local taxes.
- A comprehensive medical kit.
- An experienced Trekking Guide,Assistant Guide, Cook, assistant cook and Porters.
- All accommodations on the trails and full board meals during the trek (staple meal of Daal Bhat for lunch and dinner or any one item from the menu ).
- Best available local lodges/Tea house in mountain.
- Accidental and medical Insurance of Nepalese staffs.
- Both way private bus/jeep transportation from Kathmandu to Pokhara/ jomsom to pokhara to Kathmandu.
- Certificate of trek Completion.
- Travel and rescue insurance.
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower, mineral water etc).
- Nepal visa which obtained at the airport on arrival (4 copies of passport size photo).
- Nepal entry visa fee and airport tax during the departure.
- In case of natural calamities i.e. political unrest, cancellation of flight due to weather, landslides etc the extra charge should be borne by themselves.
- Tips for trekking staffs.
- Anything else that is not mentioned on what is included.